53 Brentwood Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Rosa Parks, 1913-2005

Civil Rights Icon Dies at 92


Parks's refusal to surrender a bus seat to a white man launched the modern civil rights movement and inspired generations of activists...
Patricia Sullivan
Washington Post


"People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. I was not old, although some people have an image of me as being old then. I was forty-two. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in."

The bus driver said he would have her arrested, and she replied, "You may do that." He called the police and waited. Some riders got off, but not everyone, and Parks recalled that it was very quiet. When the police arrived, she asked one, "Why do you all push us around?" She said he replied, "I don't know, but the law is the law, and you're under arrest."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home