53 Brentwood Blog

Sunday, January 29, 2012


In a 1995 profile for Vanity Fair, author Gail Sheehy discovered that Gingrich financed his own education largely via the hard work of this then-wife. And when things got tight, finding a job was not high on his to-do list. Sheehy wrote that Gingrich turned first to his adoptive father for help, and then to his biological one:
Newt, who avoided Vietnam with student and marriage deferments, resisted taking a job. During his college years, Newt called up his father and stepmother to ask for financial help. His stepmother, Marcella McPherson, can still hear his exact words: “I do not want to go to work. I want all my time for my studies... Bob Gingrich told me he will not help me one bit. So I wondered, would you people help me?” Big Newt began sending him monthly checks.
Dolores Adamson, Gingrich’s district administrator from 1978 to 1983, remembers, “Jackie put him all the way through school. All the way through the PhD .... He didn’t work.”

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/newt/vanityfair1.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/gingrich-no-role-model-for-students/2012/01/28/gIQAqYXvXQ_blog.html?hpid=z8

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home