53 Brentwood Blog

Sunday, April 02, 2006

American Dreaming

A few years ago, the great Mike introduced me to the music of Dead Can Dance.
This is one of my favourite songs, though I still need to look in the dictionary for some of the words in it, like 'surreptitious' or 'lea'.

I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land
We've been too long American dreaming
And I think we've all lost the way
Forlorn somnambulistic maniacal in the dark
I'm in love with an American girl
Though she's my best friend
I love her surreptitious smile
That hides the pain within her
And we'll go dancing in the rings of laughter
And live along by the shores
Yeah-ee, on the lea the rising wind blows
Fay-hee, on the lea the rising wind blows
How long how long?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home